My Mom called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that she found her dream house! They were going to get their shower re-done and they really like one contractor but they wanted to see his work before hiring him. He told them that he was working on a house not far from theirs that has the same shower. She went (with Grandma GG) and both of these women fell in love with this very large, very new house that is on a 1/2 acre lot. It has the master bedroom and the laundry on the main floor, which my Mom has always wanted. In fact my Grandma was thinking about selling her patio home to live in this house that is probably 4-6 times the size with an upstairs and a basement, but my Mom beat her to it!
It seems like all of the "kids" (six boys and two girls, youngest being 21, picture left) are all totally thrilled, especially the youngest who doesn't ever remember moving. What an easy life he has had! My parents have lived in their current house almost 20 years. WOW!! For my family that is a huge thing. While growing up we moved about every five years, because my Dad would get the itch and need something new. My parents have actually been talking about moving for a while. They have had the itch but I don't think it is as strong because the old age thing is settling in!! The thing that was surprising to me was the fact that they raised 8 children in their current home and now that they only have one child at home, and he could move out at anytime, they are moving to a bigger house. But the fact of the matter is my family has expanded greatly with everyone, except one being married and with at least one kid we are a much larger family. We just all don't live there, I bet that makes you happy doesn't it Mom?!! (picture right, all grand kids except my 3)
There are so many memories in that house and so many things that my "handy" Dad has done to it. It isn't the same house we moved into long ago. It's always fun to go see what is different when I go home. I haven't talked to all the In-Laws but both Son-in-Laws are not sure about this move. Alan keeps thinking about our dating months, and the memories we have had there, but I remind him that "my room" is no longer there, it is a sitting room that doesn't even resemble my room. The "guest/computer room" that he stayed in is no longer there. It was combined with other rooms to make a great room. The deck that made him realize that my parents had their hearts in the right place was replaced with a much bigger, better model. The garden that took half of our yard has been downsized to make room for the large workshop that my father built and customized.
Their house is up for sale, they have a contract on the new house. In fact, the new house should be finished this week! My Mom is gitty and happy, and I am dreaming of this house I have never seen. Hopefully I will be able to get pictures soon so that I can straighten out my dreams and make sure that I am truly dreaming about my parents new house!!
January and February
11 years ago




3 comments:
How exciting for your parents!
Randy and I both had our parents move in the past few years. For me, my parents had lived in their house for only 10 years before moving, but that was my last home before going to college and it still feels like "home" to me. Randy's parents, though, sold their house after living in it for 30+ years! Randy never knew any other home growing up and everyone just loved it there. I even felt attached to memories and feelings from that house. But, it is so exciting to see them in their new dream home, comfy and not worrying about having to do big projects to keep things running. Plus, it is big enough for all of us to come visit with our kids and not feel cramped, like how your parents' house will be. Fun!
Wow, that is exciting! My parents have lived in their house since right before I was born. I can't imagine them moving. That will be fun for you to go visit your parents in a brand new house!
I'm with Lynette...I don't think that my parents will ever move. They've been in their house since before I was born. I wouldn't be surprised if they just put elevators in once my dad can't climb the stairs anymore. (hopefully that is a LONG ways away) How fun for your parents though, they are going to LOVE it! New houses are overwhelming but fun to start off with a 'clean slate' so to speak.
Post a Comment