Sunday, October 26, 2008

Decisions...Decisions

Alan has decided that he thinks it would be fun to wait to find out what the baby is. When we told our parents that we were expecting, my Mom told me to wait to find out. Alan's friend Uncle Sly a.k.a. Scott was trying to convince me yesterday to wait and how cool would that be. Our Relief Society President, Michelle Dean overheard us talking and said that I should definitely wait, and how cool it is to have them say, "It's a _________!!"

I just don't know if I can wait. I have never had a desire to wait. I don't really like surprises. I like to plan my life. But this is my last one. It would probably create a good story, one that would be different than any of the rest of the birth stories. (All of my kids love their birth stories) And he (she) with the most stories wins.

But the real question is, could I wait, knowing that I have the opportunity to know, to plan, to pick names, to anticipate, and to talk about it with my kids. I can't even believe that I am toying with the idea...that just proves that I have gone crazy and that this pregnancy is messing with my mind!! I did tell Alan that if we were to wait to find out that he would have to commit to two names, both a boy and a girl name. We really have only ever agreed on 5 names that were picked out when I was pregnant with Hannah. Only Eden's name was changed slightly from the original. It was going to be Eden Segovia, instead we named her Eden Kathryn. Although we were going to change it completely, but that is another story all together. We only have a boys name left which Alan is unsure about. With having to commit to 2 names, it might make him want to find out.

If you would like to vote and put in your two cents on what you think, we would love to hear your stories and opinions. We are scheduled to have our ultrasound the morning of November 20. Who knows, maybe the baby won't even cooperate. Wouldn't that be my luck if I decided to find out!

14 comments:

Nellie said...

I couldn't do it -- if the tech is going to know, then I think I should too! It's already a surprise when you meet he/she -- you haven't seen what they look like, or anything! That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!! Good luck!!

McKinnley said...

Oh you can wait! I found out with my first 4 but Heath wanted to wait for Millie. I had a couple ultrasounds and could have found out but we waited and I loved it! It drove everyone nuts cause they wanted to hear names and to know what to get, pink or blue. But it just made the hospital soooo Exciting! I would do it again... and will when we go another round.
All you need to do it have a girl and boy name picked out, take 2 outfits to the hospital and your good to go! YOu have 2 of each so you can't go wrong. Oh what fun.. Good Luck!
Opps, Kelly Thompson

Tracy said...

FIND OUT! I knew with my first two, but didn't with my last and then you can't get ready or plan like you could if you knew. Why add extra stress. Good luck!

Libby said...

I'm much too impatient. The waiting would drive me crazy...and I'm kind of a crazy woman when I'm pregnant anyway.

Tiana said...

I always said that after I had a boy and a girl I would wait to find out what the next baby is. Now that I have my boy and girl, I am not sure if I could stand the wait!! I am with you. Tough decision, but hey, if you have all the clothes for the seasons if it is a boy or girl, then wait. (that's how I would base my decision. shopping :)

Stacee Maree said...

it is not even worth it to wait. I too can't stand not being able to plan. I will never not find out. Kristy said it's not worth it either. She waited with Cozy and it wasn't as big a suprise because she just want the baby and didn't care what they said she was.

Anonymous said...

We didn't find out with Luke and I kept saying that it would give me more incentive during labor. I pushed and said, "what is it" and the nurse said "a head" but one push later and we knew. It was super exciting and so worth it. I had two outfits and gave the girl one as a gift to someone else. Chad wanted to know and was forever trying to peek during the ultrasounds. There are so few fun genuine surprises in the world anymore that I think that this is one worth waiting for. Sure ultrasounds and their technology are great but sometimes being "old fashioned" is cool. Besides, we are always about instant gratification these days, the "I need to know right now" attitude and for me, I wanted to put that aside for this. Besides, you have all the gear and have 2 of each already, what's to plan for? So be surprised, it's great fun!!

Jamie said...

Ahhhh find out.....

Keeping Up With the Joneses said...

It will be a surprise whether you find out in November or when the baby is born. Why wait the extra time?

If Alan doesn't want to know, have him leave the room so the technician can tell you then gender of the baby. You will know and can plan accordingly, and Alan can wait until the baby is born. ;)

Unknown said...

Wait!! That is my advice. We did that with Ty (our last) and it was really fun!! For me it made labor more interesting-not less painful, just more to think about than the pain. Plus Abbey and Zack were so much more excited to find out. If you can't wait-try to do it for your kids, it will be the best surprise for them. You can do it!!!

The Pugs said...

I'm pretty sure I couldn't wait. It doesn't ruin the surprise...you just get the surprise at the half-way mark! It splits the pregnancy up in two half's nicely!! Plus, just getting to see the baby is surprise enough for me... who it looks like, what color of hair, etc.!

Bra-man said...

I think I would have a hard time waiting. Especially at the end where I get anxious about everything anyway. It would add many more things to my list to worry about. What I needed to take to the hospital, what names, etc. etc. I think you may go crazy, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. I remember watching "Babe" with you and you were upset with me for not telling you that the duck didn't get eaten. You didn't want to wait the two minutes to find out that it was Roxana(?). HEE HEE!! Good times. I miss them. You may have changed since then too. It has been what, about 5 years. Good Luck!!

Jenni said...

I would vote for wait, just because it's not me!;) I never could do it but always thought the idea sounded neat! And I'm sure it would add nicely to the birth story!:)

gwyn said...

You can probably guess this, but I am WAY too much of a control freak to wait. I'm of the "it's a surprise at the ultrasound, too" opinion. If it was my last, though, and I already had boy and girl things to use, I may be okay with waiting. Just one small thing would stop me - it would be kind of hard to not secretly prefer one or the other. Not that I'd actually be disappointed with the arrival of my beautiful baby, regardless of the gender, but there'd be a part of me that would have been thinking it would be a girl/boy and that part would have a hard time readjusting. Also, it seems there are already enough surprises in the delivery room - "It's an 11 pounder!" or "You're baby's not breathing!" just to name a few - that I'm okay with knowing a few things when I go in. But, as I said, I'm a total control freak. :)