On Monday Hannah brought home a paper that said she was one of the top 20 readers over the Winter Holiday! I was shocked to say the least. Pleased, but shocked. Hannah loves to read and is very good at reading. I guess in this aspect she takes after her Mom.
The prize for being one of the top 20 is that you and a friend get to spend the night over at the school with the principal!! Sounds thrilling doesn't it!?! Well to a third grader it couldn't get any better. The only catch is that they strongly encouraged parents to come. I knew Alan wasn't going to go, so that left me.
It actually wasn't that bad, I was dreading it. They played games, watched "Night at the Museum" and had a bedtime story by Mr. Fitzgerald (the principal). He read his favorite book, The Giving Tree. At 10:30 they told everyone that they could stay up and read but they had to stay on their sleeping bags. We were in the gym / cafeteria. Do you know how well sleeping bags slide on a floor like that? The kids were off the wall, they were so hyper even without sugar!! (No snacks or treats were allowed). In my opinion they should have loaded them up with sugar upon arrival and then not given them any more so that they would have their sugar high and then crash. There was one of those emergency lights that made it so it wasn't dark whatsoever, so at about midnight they moved all of the kids into the Library to sleep. At about 1:30 one of the 6th grade girls asked me, "Are you ever going to go to sleep?" I look at her smiled and said, "Nope!" I did eventually sleep, with only 3 kids left awake. I just hope it was a memorable experience for Hannah!
January and February
11 years ago






No comments:
Post a Comment