When Spencer W. Kimball was Prophet he encouraged members to plant a garden. One thing that I am thankful for is my parents always having a garden. Many wonderful memories of just going out into the garden and picking a cucumber, tomato or bell pepper and eating it. Also many not so wonderful memories of hard work shoveling manure, planting, weeding, and canning. But it was always worth it in the end...it all tasted so good; I can still taste them.I have been married for over 10 years and every year that I have been married I have tried (notice that I didn't say successfully) to grow some type of vegetable for our "garden". Our harvest has always been less then bountiful, and we could never live off of what I have picked (well maybe for one snack). This year my luck might change. I went to a
container class that we had for an Enrichment Activity and did exactly as the teacher instructed and she promised that by June 1st we would be able to have tomatoes. On June 1st we could have picked our first couple tomatoes, but we waited one more day. It was heavenly and reminded me of eating the vegetables out of my parents garden.
This year in our small garden plot we planted 4 tomato plants, 1 bell pepper, 1 summer squash, 1 zucchini, 1 butternut squash, and are planning to do some carrots. In the containers we planted 1 tomato, 1 cucumber, and 1 cantaloupe. I am so impressed with our little garden and how well it is doing! We will have to see how it fares through all of our summer travels, but right now it is happy!
January and February
11 years ago




3 comments:
I do a mini garden, too! My kids just love that they get to pick a strawberry or a couple of tomatoes. Once, I thought I had a really thin zucchini ready, but when I reached under the leaves I saw it was a black snake! Eek! I guess he liked my garden, too.
I love gardening too, but alas I have to wait to get a fence before I can do too much. I hope all goes well in your garden.
Neat!! We had a container gardening class in our ward too!! I'm glad those tomatoes are growing for ya!! :)
Post a Comment